Wednesday, June 19, 2013
After been protected from situations of exploitation, AAT Reg. Thai assists victims until their return home. We assist them to access their rights and prepare them for safe return and community reintegration.
We identify the ones kept in detention centers who do not have access to protection and transfer them to adapted centers.
In adapted centers, we provide them with legal support to receive compensations. We also provide them assistance to recover from their mental and physical problems. We then assist them to prepare for their future and build their capacity for community actions. Finally, we prepare them for the different steps of repatriation.
After been protected, AAT Reg. Thai provides care to its cases until their return home.
AAT Reg. Thai firstly implements actions in detention centers with the detainees to prevent them from further risk of trafficking and to identify the ones who were in fact victims.
Then all protected victims are transferred to protection centers for legal and repatriation procedures. AAT Reg. Thai prepares its cases for their return and supports them through each process.
Actions in detention centers for the prevention and protection of detainees and victims:
AAT Reg. Thai team does regular interventions in several detention centers located in strategic areas to do prevention programs among detainees and protect the ones who are victims of trafficking.
Women and children who illegally migrated to destination countries are at high risk of being abused, trafficked or exploited. Because they are illegal they can be very vulnerable. Because they will be deported, they face the risk of being directly re-trafficked at the border as they are still far from home or might want to go back to the country of destination. Furthermore, because they have already migrated they know the way to migrate again and they might themselves become traffickers by encouraging new persons to come with them. Therefore AAT Reg. Thai provides trainings on the risks of trafficking, how to protect one self, and legal migration. AAT Reg. Thai also provides trainings to male migrants: on the risks of trafficking, in order to dissuade them on becoming traffickers and on the process of detection and how to inform responsible agencies in the cases where they see victims of trafficking. We also train them on gender issues and behaviors towards women.
AAT Reg Thai identifies victims of trafficking among detainees and transfers them to protection centers. It happens that victims of trafficking are not properly identified and instead sent to detention as offenders. The role of AAT Reg. Thai is through trainings and activities, to detect the people who are in fact victims and to coordinate with relevant authorities to transfer them to appropriate centers for further care and repatriation.
AAT Reg. Thai also provides necessary support to women and children detainees including coordination with families, embassies, immigration, medical assistance, baby care services, baby delivery, legal documents and birth registration, food, clothes, bags and other necessary support.
Activities are done in immigration detention centers and juvenile delinquency centers.
Actions in protection centers to prepare victims return:
After all victims of trafficking are transferred to appropriate protection centers, AAT Reg. Thai provides its cases with various services throughout the process of repatriation:
- Legal assistance: We train our cases for legal procedures. We then support the whole legal process and accompany our cases to the court until they get compensations.
- Assistance: We visit regularly our cases, provide them with counseling and psychological support, and links with their families.
- Medical care: We provide them with all needed medical and psychological support.
- Preparation for reintegration and empowerment: We provide job orientation to victims in order to develop career choices and possibilities based on the needs of their communities. We have a special authorization from the government of Thailand to bring victims out of the centers for field visits to explore career possibilities and for empowerment building. We bring our cases to appropriate places to develop their empowerment by building self esteem and self confidence. We provide them with activities adapted to normal life to build their economic and social capacity. We finally develop their leadership to undertake prevention and protection actions when they are back in their communities. We also support teachers with knowledge of the victim’s language while in the center.
- We provide various trainings to our cases on prevention, women rights, self protection, and health care.
- Preparation for repatriation: We interview victims and coordinate with relevant agencies to trace their family and to get appropriate legal documents for their return. We also explain the repatriation process to them.
Prevention | Protection | Assistance | Return | Reintegration | Development of regional coordination